Saturday, April 3, 2010

West Side Market

I am cooking Easter dinner for my family this year and I had bunch of shopping to do. I knew the best place to get everything fresh and affordable was at The West Side Market.
It is my absolute favorite place to shop on a Saturday morning. There is such an energy and excitement that pumps through the corridors while people haggle over spices, meats, dairy, and produce.

What I believe is often overlooked is the outstanding beauty of The West Side Market's structure. It is one of my favorite buildings in Cleveland. The brick ceiling is a must see. Just stunning!


The walls of the building are these fabulous glazed cream subway tile that meets the brick. (If you can look past the steer head that graces Foster's Meats.)

These ceramic relief tiles are often hidden and difficult to see, but I love them. This one is dedicated to seafood. There are many others throughout the building at the base of the arches.





Either ends of the building are flanked with large arched metal windows and this end has this gorgeous (still working) clock.

I really enjoy peering into the stall cases and ogling at all that is available. Just this morning I saw this pig, chicken feet, turkey tails, and eel. Such an amazing array of foods.

Everyone tackles WSM differently, but I always start in the produce corridor. I love looking through all of the fruits and veggies and picking what is freshest.

The bakery items looked extra special today. I picked up some salted caraway sticks for tomorrow's dinner and a lamb shaped butter for the table.

The way I end every trip to the market is with a crepe from Crepes de Luxe. They make them right in front of you with any imaginable filling from Nutella to chicken and artichokes. Yum. Well worth the wait in line. I got the Basic (butter, sugar, lemon juice) with strawberry preserves this morning. So messy and yummy.

Here are my veggies all washed and ready to start Easter dinner.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and to all celebrating, Happy Easter.
Cheers,
BBS

all images are mine, except the image of the pig which was taken from google image








2 comments:

  1. What was your menu for Easter dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lots of options on this year's menu. Ham glazed in orange juice and brown sugar, pineapple stuffing, roasted mustard glazed red skins and onions, honey and ginger glazed carrots, cold asparagus with red wine vinagrette, macaroni salad, and spinach salad with grape tomatos, red onion, mushrooms, carrots, sesame sticks, and sesame vinagrette. Whew! My family brought the dessert; key lime pie, lemon merange pie, and carrot cake cupcakes.
    Thanks for asking,
    Barrie

    ReplyDelete