Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ikat; Trend or Classic?

While I was paging through my May 2010 issue of Elle Decor, I was surprised to stumble on Ikat as their Trend Alert. It seemed to me they had alerted us of this "trend" before...
So, I went to Google (what did we do before search engines???) and sure enough, it was their Trend Alert for April 2008. So I am wondering if Ikat is still a trend, or has it become a classic?


It can be clean and simple as in the above bowl.

Or set the tone of the room as it does in this bedroom.



I love how these walls jump with the Ikat pattern. It takes a tiny bedroom and makes it unbelievably interesting.


I love how these eggplant Ikat tufted chairs set off the other subtle tones in the room.

And how the navy and white of these Ikat patterns have a cooling, calming affect.

This single pillow lifts this classic room.

Or gives this highly formal space some whimsy.


I love this classic Bergere' chair in the Ikat pattern.

Or on this French settee. So unexpected.

Eddie Ross used Ikat pillows to complete his window display for Bloomingdale's this winter. His fantasy client was a working mother who traveled the world. I love the idea that "she" had brought these pillows home from one of her exotic trips.


Look how wonderful these drapery panels are on the set of A Single Man. The character, Charley's Bedroom is as fabulous as she is.(See my post about A Single Man)

I love how this rug looks with the simplicity of the clear chairs and black table. (Available from CB2)
So the question remains, Is Ikat a trend or a staple? I am not sure, but I hope it is here to stay. I love the exotic whimsy it adds to any space.
Cheers,
BBS


images from Google Image and Domino, Elle Decor, Lee Jofa, CB2, Michael W. Smith, A Single Man, Eddie Ross,











1 comment:

  1. Right now it is everywhere so it feels like
    the answer would be trendy, but like bamboo furniture which goes in and out of the trend spotlight - I say its a classic!

    ReplyDelete