Saturday, June 5, 2010

Thank you for being a friend

I will admit it. Golden Girls was one of my favorite shows growing up. I still love to catch episodes here and there and I laugh just as hard as when I first saw it. As I type this that catchy tune is running through my head, "and the card attached would say,thank you for being a friend".

I was 13 when the show first aired and I loved that they made growing older look like so much fun. I loved that they all lived together. I found it funny that they dated, and often. I don't know why I found it so funny, but at the time the only Seniors I knew were my married grandparents and their friends. It seemed so foreign to me.

We never saw much more than that condo they shared, but it didn't matter. That was where the laughs happened.

My favorite character by far was Blanche. The mere thought that you could be a "swinging single" when you were older was hysterical to me. Her name, her accent, her clothes, her style; perfect. And she always had the wittiest and smartest lines. She was the best.

RIP Rue McClanahan and "thank you for being a friend".


Cheers,

BBS

No comments:

Post a Comment