Sunday, June 6, 2010

An Education

After a long day at the office on a Saturday, gasp, I dashed home with Thai take out in hopes of finding a good film in my On Demand catalog. I try, ever so hard, to see all of the films nominated for Academy Awards each year, but there are always a few that I fail to see.

This year, An Education, was one of the films I missed, so I was thrilled to see it offered last night. As I settled in with Oliver and my dinner, I was completely taken in by this film. I did not want it to end.

Taking place in the early 1960's London it is a story of a teenager falling for a handsome older man who not only seduces her, but her parents, into his glamorous and scandalous life.


The acting in the film was superb, but above all else, to me, was the set decoration and costuming.


I wish I was able to find more images from this dinner club scene above. It was dazzling! So chic and sparkly.



Carey Mulligan was amazing and I enjoyed watching her character transform from a school girl into a glam young lady. I loved this auction scene and I think this image captures the transformation beautifully. Mulligan's character, Jenny, is discovering there is more to life than school and studying for Oxford.


Odile Dicks-Mireaux served as the costume designer for this film and the clothing was perfection. I love, love, love the leopard jacket and pill box hat. So 60's.


Emma Thompson has a tiny role as the Head Mistress of Jenny's school and she is wonderful, as always. The perfect 1960's school marm.






The set decorating was done by Anna Lynch-Robinson, who I was not familiar with by name, but have discovered that she did one of my favorite films, In Bruges. She is currently working on sets for Bel Ami, which is based on Guy de Maupassant's short novel and has Robert Pattinson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Cristina Ricci, and Uma Thurman in the cast. I am looking forward to that release in 2011.


I love this scene from a Parisian hotel room where Jenny delivers the best line of the movie. I won't ruin it, but watch for it. It is so humorous and ironic.




I am in love with the dress from this party scene. Actually I am in love with the entire party scene.



I could have filled this post with images from this chic London pad. An "Art Collector", Danny has impressed Jenny with his elaborate and extensive collection. The apartment is so glamorous.
This will definitely be one of those films I re-watch and pause as I go, so I can really take in the decor and design.

I love the simplicity of Jenny's childhood home. So English. So early 60's.


If you have not already seen it, do yourself a favor and rent An Education. You will not be disappointed.


Cheers,


BBS




all images from Google Image and belong to BBC films






No comments:

Post a Comment