Friday, August 6, 2010

Home from Hawaii

I am back from a magical vacation to Kauai. It was my first trip to our 50th state and I am in love. It was all that I imagined and more.

I experienced flowering Birds of Paradise and Ginger in its natural habitat. Ate the sweetest papaya and pineapple I have ever tasted. Swam in the Pacific Ocean for the first time (which was surprising to me, since I had traveled through the Pacific Ocean years ago for months by boat).

I hiked down to the beach where they filmed the, "I am going to wash that man right out of my hair", scene from South Pacific. Saw real lava rock for the first time. Tried poke. Took in the sunset at the St. Regis while sipping a cucumber-ginger margarita. Had a real Mai Tai. Ate the freshest Ahi tuna Mahi Mahi.

I enjoyed lazy, unplanned days with my dad and dear friends. I got to spend time with my friend's children and really got to know them all better.

The trip was initiated by a close friend's wedding. 70+ of us gathered on a magical bluff over looking the ocean high above Hanalei Bay. We witnessed the marriage of two amazing people and the most personal vows I have ever experienced. Simple, Honest, Perfect.

The happy couple is off to New Zealand for a "mini-moon". I guess when you already live half way across the world, a 4 day trip to New Zealand is logical and possible.

After a whirlwind trip to Honolulu and a LONG flight home, I am back to work. Sigh. As much as I love interior design, my clients, writing this blog, and my life in Cleveland, I think I left a bit of myself back on the beach at Hanalei Bay.

I am not sure if it was the distance from home, the time change, or the setting, but there is nothing more relaxing to me than that little nook of the world.

Cheers,

BBS


image taken at our rental home in Hanalei by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment